Monday, January 11, 2010

In One Accord

Here's a poem I wrote for an MCC retreat service regarding facing difficult situations in the community. I finally decided to put a little form in my poetry:

Isaiah 61:1-4

1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, [a]

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.


She came over the other night,
maybe the moon could tell you why;
it carried the tug.

With the fresh new experience
of decaffeinated coffee;
a smile hid her week.

It wasn’t til a nervous spill
caused that shirt sleeve to tear I saw
more than just a week.

She spilled more than just coffee
dropping the denial tendency
to blow his cover.

Odysseus ears became me
unaware of who it came from
or any of how.

She dawned into a Safe Haven
to begin gentle incisions
with more than just me.

When the lame and blind seem unhealed
Regardless of our dire efforts
We must remember

Scroll in hand temple fulfillment
Fire on heads holy anointing
And in one accord

1 comment:

Afriqnboy said...

wow, awesome style. may the tortured be comforted